Saturday, February 5, 2011

Small Business and a Blizzard

I read this post on another blog the other day and thought that I would share it with you. It is about the contribution of small business to the local economy.


The 3/50 Project
top image
3
Think about which three independently-owned business you'd miss most if they were gone.  Stop in and say hello.  Your contribution is what keeps those businesses around.
50
If just half the employed U.S. population spent $50 each month in independently-owed businesses, their purchase would generate more that $42.6 billion in revenue.  Can you imagine what 3/4 of the employed population could do?
68
For every $100 spent in independently-owned store, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll and other expenditures.  If you spend that in a national chain, only $43 stays here.  Spend it online and nothing comes home.
1
The number of people it takes to start the trend......you.
This challenge is especially important in smaller towns like Ames and Boone.  I hope all of you can try to make it your goal to shop at more local businesses this year.  Feel free to comment below with what your favorite local businesses are!



It makes a lot of sense to me being that I am an extremely small business (one person). Although, I can also understand the market for scale and economy (big business and internet sales). Hey, we all need to save somewhere right? Currently, I don't have to compete against the internet for business. Rather, I get to use it to increase sales and inform and educate my clients and potential clients. Big business is something that I do compete against. Businesses like Country Landscapes, Earl May, Dan's Custom Landscapes, R & C Landscapes, Lowes (plant sales), All American, and Spring-Green. All of these companies have the advantage of scale. They can buy most everything at larger discounts. From fertilizer to plants to insurance. I can not compete on the purchasing scale. Somethings that they can not compete against me with is heart, desire to treat my customers with respect, honesty in pricing, and personal service.

As you think about the services you use daily, think about who owns the company, who actually does the service, who takes care of you, and where do your hard earned dollars go when you pay the bill? If it is Insite, I own the company, I actually come out and do the service, I take care of you and your property, and your hard earned dollars stay here in central Iowa. Thank you for caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment