Friday, March 18, 2011

Spring is near

Well, it has been a while since I last updated my blog. In the meantime I have sent out my annual Spring Newsletter with directions to go to my website for a special deal this year. Several of my customers have sent back the sign-up sheets and are anxiously awaiting spring. I also did another snow removal that was wet and very heavy.

I researched and purchased a laptop computer to take with me on landscape design/estimates. My intention is that I can take photos and some measurements of the property, put those into my design software, and do a quick design and estimate on-site. This brings me closer to one of the original meanings of Insite - truly being in the site when I do the design work and later the installation.

I have also updated many programs and some hardware on my desktop. It is amazing how fast technology can be outdated. With the help of a good friend, Jim, I have learned more about computers and also how much Google can do for you for free. I have made phone calls via gmail for free and am looking forward to video chatting with family members that we don't get to see very often (also free).

Insite is also looking to hire a person or two to start working immediately. I can offer up to 10 hours or so right now and am sure that will expand as spring really comes on. Most of the work will involve riding a bike, mowing, and general landscaping. Pay starts at $9 per hour. I need to talk with my tax advisor, who will probably also be doing my payroll, on how to offer benefits. I want to be a company that people want to hire and want to work for. I will not tell my employees that I am paying them to work not to think. I was told that by a supervisor once and it made a deep impression on me. I want employees to think and come up with ideas. I want them to feel free to change things for the better as long as it conforms to our standards of environmental care, great service, and fair pricing. If you know of some people who would like to work for/with Insite, please call or email me. 515-708-0922 insite@wwellington.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment